Autism Awareness Month
How Autism Touches One Of Our Own
We sat down with Albert Villalobos, our Warehouse Supervisor, for a deeply personal account of how autism has touched one of our own.
April 2nd is World Autism Awareness Day! Join us as we plan to Light it Up Blue #LIUB.
What is Autism?
A Few Facts About Autism
We are pleased to continue for the 3rd year our partnership between Alegria by PG Lite® and Autism Speaks®. Autism Speaks® is the world’s leading autism science and advocacy organization, dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism, increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders (“ASD”), and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families.
· ASD are a group of complex developmental brain disorders believed to be caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors, characterized by social challenges, communication difficulties and repetitive behaviors.
· Autism is the fastest growing developmental disorder in the U.S., now affecting 1 in 68 children and 1 in 42 boys. Every 11 minutes, someone receives a diagnosis of ASD.
· Autism currently costs U.S. society $137 billion annually, an individual with ASD $2.3 million over his or her lifetime, and, on average, a family more than $65,000 per year.
· Autism remains a lifelong disability with no solid answer as to why or how children are affected. There is currently no cure for autism.
Find out ways you can help us donate to Autism Speaks to help raise funds.
April 1-30: At checkout, you can add a $1, 5, or 10 donation to your order.
If you would like to donate to Autism Speaks®, please click here.
Walk Now for Autism Speaks
If you cannot attend the event but would like to donate, simply click “Donate to a Walker” and search for the walker by name.
Here is how Autism Speaks® is bringing hope to autistic individuals and their families:
· Family Services: 63,000 Autism Speaks® tool kits provided to autistic individuals and their families, educators and practitioners. $4.5 million for community grants, scholarships and safety. $3.1 million for adult programs related to housing, transition and employment. $400,000 in iPads donated to financially disadvantaged individuals to improve communication. 30,000 individuals who annually receive direct assistance via phone and e-mail. Individuals in 42 states awarded scholarships for summer camp.
· Research: $500 million designated for research into global public health, environmental/genetic risk factors, early diagnosis and prevention. Collaboration with Google to store and analyze the world’s largest database of genomic sequence information regarding autism. $2 million for the creation of innovative medicines and technology. Developing clinically-tested guidelines for physicians treating autism.
· Advocacy: Led and achieved autism insurance reform in more than two-thirds of jurisdictions in the U.S. Improved access to care for military dependents with autism. Championed reauthorization of federal funding for autism research. Increased public awareness of autism by 45%.
Walk Now for Autism
- What is Autism? https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism
- Learn the Signs https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/learn-signs
Help us increase autism awareness by joining us at these special events.
- April 1-30 Autism Awareness Month.
- April 1-30 Website taking Donations for Autism Speaks at checkout
- April 2 World Autism Awareness Day. Over 7,000 landmarks across the globe will light up blue for autism awareness, including the Eiffel Tower, the White House, the Pyramids of Giza, Niagara Falls, the Empire State Building and more!
- April 2 Walk Now for Autism Speaks
- When you purchase a pair of our Classic clogs, a portion of the proceeds will be donated to Autism Speaks® through the month of April.
Visit our Facebook gallery to see a photo journal of our dedication to autism awareness month!